Dr J L Kettle-Williams – Specialist in verbal and non-verbal human communication
Spanish and French with Russian (BA London), anthropological linguistics in Quechua and Guaraní with Spanish Dialectology & Varietology (MLitt St Andrews), socio- & psycho-linguistics (PhD St Andrews/CNAA: Language Selection in Paraguay), Guaraní (Diploma Asunción) and Spanish (Fellowship of the Chartered Institute of Linguists). Knowledge of German, Italian, Latin, Esperanto and Arabic.
EXPERIENCE AND STATUS
Language and communication skills acquired over four decades:
- 20 years in lecturing (> Principal Lecturer HE) involving all aspects of the linguistic sciences incl. Etymology, Philology, Phonetics, Semantics.
- Recognised within and beyond academe in the field of linguistics (synchronic and diachronic), paralinguistics, translation and inter/cross/trans-cultural matters (HE and commerce), regularly lecturing (HE, NGOs, large corporates etc.) and publishing on same (1970- ).
- Experienced in the business sector (1990- ) in all matters concerned with corporate identity, presentation and communication. One of the original communications consultants (freelance) to be registered to UKTI (1995- ) responsible for advising British companies – notably SMEs (Small/Medium-Size Enterprises), in excess of 150 to date – with regard to MARCOMS (Market Communications). Regularly employed by the DTI to train international trade advisers on communicative matters (linguistic, paralinguistic and cross-cultural) such as impact on trade and commerce.
- Formerly Editor (ten years) to The Linguist, the journal of the Chartered Institute of Linguists and for many years served on Council to the Institute.
- Publications, broadcasts, consultancy and training address the full range of above issues.
- Familiarity with court procedure* and cross-examination.
Forensic matters addressing market penetration/marketing, promotion and positioning, branding, product names, trade/trading names, trade-off, visual imaging/logos, displays, font/text analysis and appraisal, signage/signing, colours, fonts, synergy, interpretation of meaning (visual and verbal), use of language(s) and matters endo- & exo- communicative (linguistic and paralinguistic).
*Court experience includes Belmarsh, Bournemouth, Portsmouth, RCJ, Snaresbrook